Icon of Our Mother of Perpetual help
Province of Ligouri
Background/History of the Devotion of Our Mother of Perpetual Help in Ligouri
General Situation in Kerala:
Kerala is a state where Catholicism is very strong and the Catholic Church is well organized. Generally Catholics participate in the spiritual activities and regular to Church. Families usually gather together for daily prayers. Devotion to Mary is part and parcel of their life.
Devotion of Our Mother of Perpetual Help:
Devotion to Our Mother of Perpetual Help was started in 1924s in Kerala. The first Church to have novena devotion was in Chathama in the archdiocese of Ernakulam-Angamaly. It shows that the novena devotion was brought to Kerala much before the Redemptorists arrived in India in 1940.
Efforts by the Redemptorists:
When the Irish Redemptorists arrived in India in 1940 they brought along with them the devotion to Our Mother of Perpetual Help too, as it was the custom of the Redemptorists everywhere. Fr. Andy McGahy, an Irish Redemptorist, learned the local language Malayalam and preached three days novena in different churched in Kerala in 1958. As the result of his preaching novena devotion started to develop in different places. Prominent among them are: Lalam Old Church in Pala, St. Francis Xavier’s Church in Ernakulam and Lourde Cathedral in Trichur.
Present Situation in Kerala:
At present the novena devotion has spread all over Kerala. Almost all the Churches in Kerala have novena to Our Mother of Perpetual Help. The Redemptorist preaching has surely helped to spread the novena devotion to Our Mother of Perpetual Help. At the same time, the local clergy especially those priests who have great devotion of Our Mother of Perpetual Help too have become instruments in spreading the devotion. The novena devotion takes place on Saturdays. Though the devotion is so wide spread all over Kerala, people do not know the history and meaning of the Icon.
Possible ways of Celebrating the Jubilee in the Liguori Province
The Liguori Province plans to celebrate the jubilee through the following:
1. Province level and community level inauguration and concluding of the jubilee
2. Participate in the logo competition
3. Participate in the lyrics / song competition
4. Preach 150 special missions from 2015 to 2017
5. While preaching retreats to priests and religious with them emphasis given to Our Lady of Perpetual Help
6. Print pictures and pamphlets etc. of Our Lady of Perpetual Help
7. Look into possibility of having a common celebration of the jubilee among the Indian units such as a Conference
8. Write articles in Catholic weeklies and magazines on Our Lady of Perpetual Help
9. Create a video about Our Lady of Perpetual Help and telecast in Shalom T.V. and Divine Vision
10. Organize some sort of celebrations in churches where devotion of Our Lady of Perpetual Help is popular
11. Organize celebrations in our own communities especially in Karavaloor, Kunnambetta, Chowara, Edoor and Mattoor where we have either parishes of have good number of people attending the novena
12. Have some forms of celebrations in parishes where our confreres work as parish priests or assistant parish priests
13. Organize celebrations in all our communities involving the local clergy and people
14. In youth missions preach on Our Lady of Perpetual Help
15. Some meaningful celebrations involving the students in formation
16. Collect hymns about Our Lady of Perpetual Help and send to the General Government
Photos and Videos of the Devotion to Our Mother of Perpetual Help in Ligouri
©2014 Redemptorist General Commission of the 150th Jubilee of the Icon, All rights reserved.